Have You Lost a Pet?
We're Here to Help!
Losing a pet can be one of the most stressful moments in a pet owner’s life. We have several resources available to help you find your missing pet or reunite a lost pet with their family on your own. HSVB is here to help!
What to do if You Lost a Pet
- Does the dog have a microchip? Contact your microchip company to make sure your contact information is up-to-date and to report that the pet is missing.
- Check your neighborhood because 80% of lost pets are found within a mile of home, so check your local areas and speak with neighbors.
- Lost pets picked up by Animal Control are brought to HSVB. Click here to review the Lost & Found Search of animals currently in the shelter. If you see your pet in the Lost & Found Search, call 772-388-3331 for further assistance.
- Upload a photo of your pet’s face to the Petco Love Lost app or website. This tool uses facial recognition to match lost and found pets and even crosschecks with dogs at HSVB!
- Make a Lost Report with 24Petconnect, which is shared with local shelters.
- Use online resources and post about your lost pet on social media and search neighborhood apps and websites like Nextdoor and Pawboost.
- Review social media to see if someone who has found your dog has posted on Facebook, Nextdoor, Craigslist, Ring, etc.
- Don’t give up! When you find your pet, be sure to remove fliers and update any reports/posts you made.
Register Your Lost Pet at 24Petconnect
You’ll receive a daily email when pets fitting your animal’s description are registered as “found” by members of the community. Please continue to check the Lost and Found section of our website daily as well.
Register Your Lost Pet Using the Petco Love Lost App
You can register your lost dog or cat at Petco Love Lost. Petco Love Lost is a facial recognition app that reunites lost dogs with their owners. Photos of dogs that are found or admitted to participating shelters (including HSVB) are stored in the app’s database. Every time a pet parent posts a photo of a dog they’ve lost, Petco Love Lost scans its database and provides possible matches and necessary contact information within seconds.
What You Need to Know About the Pet Legal Hold
Lost pets brought to HSVB are under the jurisdiction of City of Vero Beach, City of Sebastian, City of Fellsmere, or Indian River County Animal Control. Cats are on stray hold for 3 day and dogs are on stray hold for 5 days, then the animals are released to HSVB for adoption. This means lost pets are held unless claimed sooner by their owners.
Owners of pets with identification will be contacted via phone and/or email. After the stray hold, animals will be evaluated and may no longer be available to reclaim.
6230 77th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32967
Monday – Sunday: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Closed daily from 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Closed until 1:30 p.m. on the last Wednesday of the month.
If you have questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call our Pet Help Team.